Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Just Keep Swimming


'You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming.'
- Dory, Finding Nemo

Yesterday Byron set up a beach tent for me to lie in the shade. From my cool shelter, I could see the tips of black rocks covered in patches of lime green coloured seaweed stand exposed by the low tide. Seagulls stood along the shore, and somewhere the rumble of a jet ski could be heard, it's sound carried in the breeze.

From my soft beach towel I flipped through pages of a book with fingers adorned with chipped nail polish. I didn't care. I stretched my tired limbs before bending my knees to create a makeshift rest for my book. I slept for a while before the sound of sea birds calling erupted from the scene in front of me. Coco was curled up in a tiny, warm ball beside my body and Byron watched me cautiously, asking me if I was okay. We chatted for a while, and then he danced in the sand with Coco, darting about in a messy zigzag. She barked and bounced and returned to my side from time to time, like a faithful little nurse attending to her patient.

As the cool wind began to prickle my skin, he packed up the tent and carted our bags back home. I rested some more before serving Caribbean lamb shanks from the slow cooker for lunch. I ate slowly, picking at the dish before covering the bowl in cling film and placing it in the refrigerator.

Slowly, slowly I am feeling more myself. With rest, food and the sea air I feel myself gaining strength.

From the very bottom of my heart, thank you for the wonderful support and well wishes.

Bella xx

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're taking it easy, lady. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sar, I feel all the more better for it :)
      x

      Delete
  2. Just remember, if you need anything. People are out there for you. Sending much love your way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. Fortunately the clean sea air is helping me to keep positive.
      x

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you have such a supportive husband (and puppy dog). It must make all the difference in the world to know how much you are loved and cared for. I keep coming back to your blog to find out how you are going. Rest up and look after yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly has made all the difference. He has cooked, cleaned and comforted me until I slept each day, waking me for meals and helping me to shower. I have no idea where I would be without him... Probably somewhere cold and unfamiliar with monitors beeping. Tomorrow I hope to see the sunrise over the ocean. Max and Coco will probably stay close by the foot of my bed, curled up in their woolly blanket. Thank you for the thoughts and well wishes. xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your messages. I love reading your words and sharing snippets from our seaside life with you.

Love Bella xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails