Friday, August 2, 2013

A Garden Helper

On overhearing the gentle thud of a passionfruit falling from the vine, Coco alerted me to collect the fruit and was confused as to why I took the strange ball away from her.


This week it we've been gardening, mowing and generally giving back to the small piece of land on which we live. Our worms are growing, digesting our vegetable scraps and I have been surprised to discover the fruit and veges that have truly flourished this season are those we didn't actually plant. The passionfruit vine was here before we moved in and the choko vine presumably grew from the compost. There are no complaints! Our neighbours benefit from the abundant fruit growing from the beautiful vines along our fence and we swap herbs, gardening tips and laughter over the tall wooden barrier at the edge of our property.

I may not be the poster girl for gardening but my heart is in it for the long run. So long as the sun continues to shine, the rain continues to fall and I have my best friend by my side, the land will give back by the basketful.

What are you currently planting? What have been your gardening failures? Have you had any success with crops or vegetables in your plot? Do you live on a farm or do you only have space for a tiny herb garden on your windowsill? Have you had any unusual plants growing that you wonder where they came from?

I'd love to hear from you and hope the sun shines bright, the earth is rich and fruits of your labour are delicious!

Bella xx

3 comments:

  1. I am having a bit of trouble with white moths. They will not leave the capsicum alone, all I am left with is stems. But on the upside I have SOOOO much bok choy. Jarvis tipped the whole packet of seeds while we were planting. If you are in Brisbane in about two to three weeks come and get some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that passionfruit red? An unusual variety perhaps? Coco is so cute. I'm mostly a balcony gardener......I have mainly herbs and I'm hoping for limes in summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco is a little sweetie. I'm hoping to get in the garden this weekend. I have allsorts growing in there but it badly needs some TLC and fencing to keep pets and little feet from trampling over it all xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your messages. I love reading your words and sharing snippets from our seaside life with you.

Love Bella xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails