Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Week by the Seaside




watching the sea together // taking flight // an empty home

Sometimes life isn't all lavender shrubs and clear blue skies. Sometimes we have to work harder to make things easier. Sometimes we have to give a lot of ourselves to reap a tiny reward, like the busy bee who tirelessly visits hundreds of flowers before buzzing away to his sticky, honey-filled hive. It's a bizarre and humbling contradiction in this life we've built in our seaside home. We work all day and into the night to afford to live in this postcard place. More and more often I find myself working out of town and when I sleepily arrive home I usually feel too exhausted to walk along the inky blue beach, freezing cold with the winter air and cloaked in nightfall. The sound of the ocean lulls us to sleep at the end of each day, a gentle reminder of where we are and why we choose to live by the seaside.




collecting pollen // pre-blended raw green smoothies // fishing friends

Our relationship has changed, we have settled into married life. We blend separate smoothies for breakfast. Mine usually has raw cacao powder, his does not. We walk along the beach together less often than we would prefer due to clashes in work rosters and tired bodies. Last weekend we witnessed a young couple have their wedding photos taken at our beach. Byron stopped, turned to face me and kissed me softly in the breeze. Everything changed in that moment. Wherever my mind was, it floated back to me and we lived the rest of the week in the moment.



a sad end to a soaring friend // seashells on my kitchen windowsill

This week we made a conscious effort to take each available moment to visit the sandy shores of the beautiful blue sea on our front doorstep. Some mornings we ran in the sunshine, on others we found ourselves caught in rain showers. One day we swam, splashed, laughed and played. On Saturday we were confronted with the sad demise of a sea bird. I hope he soared high and found the time to dart and weave, dive and swim before he met his untimely end on the sandy shore. I will make more effort to appreciate the beauty in our lives. Everyday. Because living this life today is as important as working so hard for tomorrow.

Bella xx

16 comments:

  1. Words to live by Bella.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually our parents advice, isn't it? Make the most of each day, and live like there's no tomorrow. I think I've already mastered 'dance like nobody's watching'.
      B xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images! Love, love, love your photography girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a little hobby of mine when I find the time. More often I find myself leaving my camera on my bedside table and running with Coco on the beach, trying to burn every day into my memory but sometimes the camera feels like an extension of my body and I want to capture moments for later.
      B xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words, Bella. A refreshing perspective - one I will carry with my this week, & the future. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sar. How are you enjoying the warmer days up north?
      Bella xx

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous blog you have! I love it! Such beautiful photos, and a bit sad about the pelican. Watching it die must have been quite the reality check. I think sometimes seeing these sorts of things can help us to appreciate what we have, and not take it for granted. I can see that is how you have responded.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not certain it was a pelican but it was very sad nonetheless. We saw the bird several days later on the beach looking how it does in this picture. It certainly made me realise that I should be actively living my life to the fullest and as you say, appreciate what we have.
      Thanks for stopping by Kim :)
      Bella xx

      Delete
  5. Hi there I'm popping in from The Beetle Shack...such a beautiful location and beautiful photos. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Kathy, welcome! Thank you for taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful weekend, I cannot wait to see what The Beetle Shack linky has in store for us this week.
      Bella xx

      Delete
  6. What beautiful photos! The beach is an amazing landscape to live by and draw inspiration from. What a good reminder to live in the moment, where we are, with those around us. You have a beautiful blog! Hugs, Fi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fi, I certainly love living by the seaside. It brings light, happiness and wonder into my day to day living.
      Bella xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a colourful week, as you can see :)
      Bella xx

      Delete
  8. Such a heartfelt post - I read this a few times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa. Sometimes it's nice to have a gentle nudge to remember all the things in life to be thankful for, inspired by and treasured.
      Bella xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your messages. I love reading your words and sharing snippets from our seaside life with you.

Love Bella xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails